Celebrating Italian Cinema in Cambodia
The ICBA Arts Committee is thrilled to announce the upcoming Italian Film Festival, an exciting event that brings the vibrant and diverse world of Italian cinema to the heart of Cambodia. Organized in collaboration with the Italian Embassy in Bangkok, Honorary Consulate in Phnom Penh, The Cambodian Film Commission, Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts of Cambodia, Direzione Generale Cinema e Audiovisivo, and Asian Film Festival, this festival aims to showcase the rich cultural heritage and artistic brilliance of Italian films.
Date: 16th to 18th June 2023
Venue: Raffles Hotel Le Royal, 92 Rukhak Vithei Daun Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Times: 6pm and 8:30pm each evening
Introduction to Italian Film Culture:
Italian cinema has a long and illustrious history, renowned for its artistic excellence, compelling storytelling, and influential directors. The Italian film industry has produced masterpieces that have captivated audiences worldwide. With this festival, we celebrate the spirit of Italian filmmaking and the profound impact it has had on the world of cinema.
- SICCITÀ (2022, Paolo Virzì) - 6:00 PM Synopsis: In a Rome suffering from a three-year-long drought, the scarcity of water transforms lives and societal norms. Amidst a city grappling with thirst and restrictions, a diverse group of characters, ranging from the marginalized to the successful, intertwine in a mocking and tragic narrative. Each individual seeks redemption amidst a city on the brink of collapse.
- LEONORA ADDIO (2022, Paolo Taviani) - 8:30 PM Synopsis: "Leonora Addio" recounts the extraordinary journey of Pirandello's ashes from Rome to Agrigento, culminating in his long-awaited burial after fifteen years. This film also explores Pirandello's final story, "Il Chiodo," written shortly before his death. Set against the backdrop of Sicily, the narrative follows Bastianeddu, a young boy torn apart from his mother and forced to accompany his father on a journey across the ocean. Battling inner wounds, he is driven to an act of senseless desperation.
- DANTE (2022, Pupi Avati) - 6:00 PM Synopsis: Set in September 1350, this film portrays Giovanni Boccaccio's journey from Florence to Ravenna. Commissioned to deliver symbolic compensation to Dante Alighieri's daughter, Sister Beatrice, Boccaccio encounters those who provided shelter and hospitality to the renowned poet during his years of exile. Through this pilgrimage, Boccaccio reconstructs Dante's life, unearthing the stories of both those who embraced him and those who rejected him, thus unraveling the human side of Dante's existence.
- LE OTTO MONTAGNE (2022, Felix Van Groeningen, Charlotte Vandermeersch) - 8:30 PM Synopsis: "Le Otto Montagne" follows the enduring friendship between Pietro and Bruno. Pietro, a city dweller, and Bruno, the last child of a remote mountain village, attempt to forge their own paths away from their fathers' footsteps. However, fate consistently brings them back home through love and loss. As they discover the true essence of friendship, their journeys converge, reaffirming their roots and destinies.
- PICCOLO CORPO (2021, Laura Samani) - 6:00 PM Synopsis: Set in Italy in 1900, "Piccolo Corpo" tells the story of Agata, a young woman who tragically loses her newborn daughter. Driven by Catholic traditions, Agata embarks on a journey to a mystical place in the mountains. There, babies are momentarily brought back to life for baptism, allowing their souls to be saved. Along the way, she meets Lince, a solitary man who offers his assistance. Together, they embark on an adventure that unveils miracles and brings them closer to their desires.
- LA STRANEZZA (2022, Roberto Andò) - 8:30 PM Synopsis: In 1920 Sicily, Luigi Pirandello encounters two extraordinary actors, Onofrio Principato and Sebastiano Vella, during his brief visit. These amateur actors, rehearsing with their filodrammatica company, captivate Pirandello's attention. The encounter between the renowned author of "Six Characters in Search of an Author" and this amateur troupe leads to unexpected surprises and revelations.
Join us for this incredible celebration of Italian cinema, where captivating stories, compelling performances, and artistic brilliance await you. Immerse yourself in the captivating world of Italian film culture and experience the magic of cinema from one of the world's most renowned film industries.
Note: The film descriptions have been condensed for the purpose of this blog post. Please refer to the official program for detailed information on each film.
For more information and ticket bookings, visit the official website of the Italian Film Festival or contact the festival organizers.
We extend our heartfelt gratitude to the Italian Embassy in Bangkok, Honorary Consulate in Phnom Penh, The Cambodian Film Commission, Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts of Cambodia, Direzione Generale Cinema e Audiovisivo, Asian Film Festival, and the ICBA Arts Committee for their invaluable support in bringing this festival to fruition.
Don't miss this extraordinary opportunity to explore the world of Italian cinema in the enchanting setting of Phnom Penh. See you at the Italian Film Festival!